Is it Okay to drink alcohol on a ketogenic diet? Yes, it is totally cool to drink alcohol even when following a keto diet!
You can still go out, and party with your friends. You can still drink.The only thing you need to do is to be smart about your drinking choices.
That’s it. Nothing else. So, can you drink whatever drink you want?
Nope. There are a few guidelines in place that needs to be followed while drinking on the keto diet.
These guidelines will help you to stay in ketosis mode even after having a few drinks.
The keto alcohol drinks mentioned below are totally ideal for people like you and m
Sugar-Free Low-Calorie Whiskey Sour :
Whiskey Sours date back to the 19th century and has been a popular drink among all age groups. Lime and sugar were added along with the water to enhance it”s taste.
Nowadays premade Whiskey Sour mixes that are available in the market remain full of a whole lot of unwanted sugar.
By following the below recipe you can easily give your taste buds the same experience without giving your body any stress.
Net Carbs: 2g
- 1.5 ounces whiskey
- 1.5 ounces lemon juice
- 1.5 ounces water
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 wedge lemon, for garnish
- Put the ingredients in a cocktail shaker half-full of ice. Shake well.
- Strain into a glass (rocks glass, sour glass, martini glass, or whichever glass you prefer).
- Garnish with a lemon wedge.
Low Carb Strawberry Lemonade Mojitos:
These drinks are sure known to help you relax especially to beat the unbearable scorching heat of the Summer.
However, these particular drinks are so tasty that you can have them all year round provided you remain in self-control about the quantity you are consuming.
Net carbs: 0
- Ready four cups of sugar-free strawberry lemonade
- 1/4 cup of torn and mashed fresh mint
- 1 cup of white rum
- Strawberries to garnish the taste further
- Combine completely sugar-free mixture of strawberry lemonade, rum, and mint in a pitcher.
- Have them serve over mashed ice and garnish it further with freshly sliced strawberries.
- Add a sparkling splash of soda water into it to make a bit jazzier.
Grapefruit Ginger Fizz (Low Carb Cocktail):
The specialty of this drink is it works great with either vodka or gin.
Ginger beer will of course act as a nice addition to this cocktail.
However, finding the right balance of ginger to that of grapefruit will be a small challenge which needs to get adjusted based on trial and error.
Net carb: 2.8g
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup swerve
- zest of one grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 oz of gin or vodka
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon of syrup
- gingerale to taste
- In a saucepan, add your water, ginger, grapefruit zest and swerve.
- Simmer until all the Swerve has melted, set to low and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Take off the burner and let cool.
- In a drinking glass, add vodka or gin, grapefruit juice and 1 teaspoon of syrup.
Add ginger ale to taste.
Please note you will have enough syrup for quite a few drinks.
Low-Carb Cosmopolitan Cocktail:
Cosmopolitan cocktails are insanely fun to drink.
However, the traditional methods of making this cocktail involve the addition of a lot of sugar and other bad carbs for enhancement of the taste. The Good News is
Through following the recipe mentioned below you can easily make the drink low in sugar without sacrificing the festive flavor.
Net Carbs: 1g
- 1 jigger (1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons) vodka
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) low-calorie cranberry juice OR 2 teaspoons unsweetened cranberry juice and 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (fresh preferred)
- 2 to 3 drops orange extract
- 1 drop liquid stevia or other sweetener (2 to 4 teaspoons sugar equivalent)
- Lime wedge or lime peel for garnish
- Put 1 jigger regular vodka, 1-ounce low-calorie cranberry juice or 2 teaspoons unsweetened cranberry juice and 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 2 to 3 drops orange extract and sweetener in a cocktail shaker half-full of ice. Shake well.
- Taste for sweetness if using unsweetened cranberry juice, which is highly variable. You may need to add more sweetener. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a small lime wedge or curl of lime peel.
Low Carb Spicy Margarita:
This version of the spicy margarita is not only very easy to make but are also pretty classy.
This preparation of Spicy Margarita has got the perfect sour to the sweet ratio which will give your taste buds magical sensations in warm afternoons.
Drinking this drink will act as a perfect treat on a fuzzy evening or in your next brunch.
- FOR RIMMING THE GLASS:
- 1 Lemon Wedge
- 1 teaspoon Fine Salt
- ⅛ teaspoons Chili Powder
- ⅛ teaspoons Sweet Paprika
- FOR THE MARGARITA:
- 16 cubes Ice, Divided
- 4 slices Jalapeno (From A Jar), Divided
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 ounces, fluid Tequila
- 12 drops Liquid Stevia
- 2 sprigs Cilantro For Garnish (optional)
- Run a wedge of lime around the rim of your glasses.
Mix salt, chili and paprika in a small bowl or ramekin. Place salt mix onto a plate and dip glass rim into the salt mix. Turn glass to coat and repeat with other glass(es).
Add half the ice to each glass. Place 2 slices of jalapeno and the lime juice into a cocktail shaker. Muddle the jalapeño (I used the end of a wooden spoon).
Add tequila, stevia and remaining ice and shake to mix. Strain margarita into the rimmed glasses. Add a slice of jalapeño and some cilantro to each for garnish if desired.
- If you like your Low-Carb Margarita to be even more spicy, leave the shaken cocktail to stand for up to 5 minutes. This will allow more spice to develop. Alternatively, add an extra jalapeño slice to the cocktail shaker.
- Add more or less stevia to achieve your desired level of sweetness.
Low Carb Cherry Gin Fizz:
This drink has been out there for the past century and looks utterly delicious in plain sight.
If made in the right way as per the below recipe, a thick layer of foam will be formed over a layer of a pink colored cocktail.
The foam will be deliciously creamy and will serve as an enjoyable drink for anyone at any time of the day.
Net carb: 1.4 carbs
- 2 oz . Gin
- 1/2 oz . Lime juice
- 1/3 teaspoon white cherry water enhancer
- 15 drops vanilla stevia liquid
- A couple of drops of Fees Orange Bitters
- 1 egg white or pasteurized egg white
- Sugar free ginger ale
Read more: 7-Day Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan
- Add the gin, lime, water enhancer, stevia, bitters, and egg white to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously for several seconds.
- Open the shaker, add ice, and shake for another minute.
- Strain into a chilled glass.
- Add about 4 ounces of the sugar free ginger ale, pouring slowly down the side.
Caribbean Rum Punch:
One sip of this drink will give you the feel of being in some tropical island in just a flash. This kind of drink can lighten up your mood in no time.
Most alcohol drinks related to Rum are full of sugary ingredients however the recipe that is mentioned below will help you to stay in ketosis.
So stick with those ingredients because any deviation from those can kick you off ketosis.
Net Carbs: 0.8g
- 1 1/2 ounces dark rum
- 1 ounce light rum
- 1/3 teaspoon coconut pineapple water enhances
- 10 drops orange water enhancer
- 1/3 ounce lime juice
- 6 ounces club soda or diet lemon-lime or diet gingerale soft drink
- Lime slices for garnish
- Add the dark rum, light rum, water enhancers, lime juice, and ice to a shaker.
- Shake gently and strain into a chilled glass of ice.
- Carefully pour in the club soda (or lemon-lime or ginger ale)
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
Who does not enjoy sipping some good quality margarita off the glass?
The premade mixtures that are found in the stores are not suitable for consumption because:
- They are loaded with artificial sugars
- They can kick you off ketosis mode with just one drink
- They also can leave you with a horrifying hangover the next day
Just because you are trying hard to cut back on sugar does not mean that you will also need to cut back on having cocktails!!!
- 1 jigger (1 1/2 ounces) tequila
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Optional: margarita salt or kosher salt
- Optional: lime wedge for garnish
- Optional: 1 tablespoon agave syrup or stevia
- In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, lime juice, water, orange extract, agave syrup, if using, and a small handful of ice. Shake until well blended. Alternatively, you can mix ingredients in a blender until slushy.
- If desired, wet the rim of a margarita or martini glass with lime juice or plain water and dip it into a small plate of margarita or kosher salt.
- Pour mixture from shaker into glass, either over ice or straight up. If blended, pour straight into the glass.
Low Carb Red Sangria:
Honestly, Sangria is no doubt one of the most favorite wines out there and nothing should stop you to hop onto a fine glass sangria, especially on a hot day.
This sweet sangria recipe is not only refreshing but also will help you to suffice your hunger for alcohol without much hurting your progress in ketosis.
Net Carbs: 3g
- 4 ounces of red wine
- 1 ounce of vodka( Absolut Citron)
- 1/4 teaspoon of berry flavored water enhancer(0 carbs)
- 4 ounces club soda
- Add Red wine, vodka, and water enhancer into a glass.
- Stir the mixture to blend it properly.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add sparkling club soda.
- Garnish the wonderful drink with a slice of lime if needed.
Source photos: Pixabay